Monday, September 27, 2010

How did I get $25.94 worth of items for $13.94?!

I have kind of fallen behind on posting meals. I have recently been told by my employer that I have 2 weeks to find another position within the company and then 30 days following that to find another job if there are no other postions open. As of last night I still hadn't done my meal plan for the week and didn't really have any new recipes to try. I ended up using the week before lasts meals again but on different days, just because they are fairly cheap ingredients and money is tight. I will try and post the meal plan later on and may post some recipes that I am wanting to try to give you some new ideas while I stick with the old meals for now.

In the mean time I though I would share the deal I got today at Walgreens. Some items are food related and some are not but they are all items I needed (not wanted). Along with meal planning goes coupon shopping, deal shopping and price matching which is my second favorite thing to do to save money and get by.

Walgreen's ad is posted online and in the paper each sunday and ads may differ depending on which state you are in. I am in Arizona so this post is based on the ad for this area.

My son has a birthday party to attend this Saturday and we had used up the last Huggies Little Swimmers, that were given to us. The smallest size of these are around $9.99 a 12 pack regular priced. I looked around and found an online coupon for $1.00 one pack of Little Swimmers (you will have to complete a free registration to Huggies.com, if you don't already have one, in order to get the coupon). Walgreens regularly does Register Rewards (RR) on different items where you purchase the item and get so many dollars back. (I.E. Quaker Chewy Granola Bars $1.99 each + $1.00 in RR which gives you that item and $1.00 of it back to use on any other item of your choice on your next perchase at Walgreens.) Here is what I got today.

1st Transaction

Hylands Cold & Cough for Kids 100% Natural $4.99 + $4.99 rounded to $5.00 in RR back = $4.99 out of pocket.

Clairol Natural Instincts Hair Color $8.99 regular price, on sale for $6.99 + $2.00 in RR back - $2.00 coupon from the Sunday paper = $4.99 out of pocket.

Total = $9.98

2nd Transaction

Huggies Little Swimmers $8.99 - $1.00 online printable - $5.00 RR from 1st transaction - $2.00 RR from 1st transaction = $0.99

Hunts Tomato Sauce 8oz WAGC (Walgreen's Coupon) 3 for $1.00 = $1.00

Total = $1.99

Total for all 3 items was $11.97 plus tax which came to $13.94. All items at regular price without coupons and RR would have been $25.94 plus tax which comes to $26.90. Savings of $12.96.

I did this in 2 different transactions in order to use the register rewards on the Little Swimmers and Tomato Sauce.

I now have Little Swimmers for Saturday, hair color that I have been putting off buying because it is soo expensive, and back up Cold & Cough medicine for those times when you need it and my favorite part is it is 100% natural ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment