Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Cinnamon Sugar Dried Apple Rings

While I have to admit I haven't been following the meal plan very well this week, the days are repeats from before and out of order, there will be alot of other food and baking projects going on between now and Monday.

Thursday night the Hubby, his dad and another friend are going hunting for the weekend. They like to take dehydrated apple rings and jerky with them so of course I got asked to make both before they leave Thursday night. I did get the apples cut and put in our two dehydrators Monday night and they were finished on Tuesday morning after about 10 hours. The jerky however is still not started because while waiting it's turn in the dehydrators I realized we were out of jerky seasoning which I will pick up today. I will post more on the jerkey later but here is how I make the apples.

They like the apples not cored so I don't take the core out before I slice them but you can if you like. I use a food slicer and slice about six apples but it depends on what size of dehydrator you have (I have two so I need close to five pounds to fill both up.)



Once the apples are sliced i just dip them in a cinnamon sugar mixture and place them in a sigle layer on the dehydrator trays. I guestimate on the amount of cinnamon per sugar so it just depends on how strong of a cinnamon flavor you like.

Here is my first row of apples on the bottom tray. I do recommend that you leave the bottom tray empty as the juice from the apples pools in the bottom and the apples end up very sticky. It's been so long I completely forgot to do this and had to dry the bottom apples from each tray for longer.

After about 10 hours the apples are dry and crispy. If you like them a little chewy cook them for 8-9 hours instead.


The five pounds of apples usually make a little over a one gallon zip lock bag. I only bought three pounds of apples this time and got one full gallon bag full of apples. I don't like them so the boys get them all but not the jerky I LOVE that and will be stealing some before they leave with it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment